Note: Daylight Savings Time begins this day.
Among the many statues on the grounds of the Legislative Building here in Winnipeg are two on the west lawn: the small but poignant Holodomor Memorial, commemorating the Ukrainian Famine and Genocide of 1932-33, and the majestic Taras Shevchenko Monument, which was unveiled on the 100th anniversary of the poet’s death. Drawing on Shevchenko’s poetry, we will reflect on current events and the ongoing struggle for human freedom, independence, and peace.
Service Coordinator: Kelvin Seifert
Order of Service
“Sweet, Radiant Mystery,” by Catherine Dalton
#188, Come, Come, Whoever You Are
Chalice Lighting and Opening Words
Love Is The Spirit
Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#395, Sing and Rejoice
Sharing and Caring
What a miracle this is: to share these moments,
to be nourished by each other’s presence,
to affirm the possibilities we bring,
to open ourselves to life’s renewing powers.
May we approach this time we share with gratitude and hope.
So may it be.
“Voices of Earth: Snow,” by Stephan Chapman
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
- Donate via e-transfer/Interac. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge.
- Donate through Canada Helps
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescdent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Donate page
Share the Plate Partner for March is Manitoba League of Persons with Disabilities
“Blackbird” by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, played by Daniel Clark
Two Ukrainian poems, read by Mykola and Yulia Kosarenko
#163, For the Earth Forever Turning
“The Peace of Wild Things,” by Wendell Berry
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
“Why Weighs the Heart Heavy?” by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#162, Gonna Lay Down My Sword and Shield
Closing Words and Chalice Extinguishing
Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Gratitude to all who made this service happen! Among others:
- Leader: Rev Jonasson
- Coordinator: Kelvin Seifert
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow
- Sharing and Caring Host: Colleen Millikin
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
- To contact Sunday Services Team: firstname.lastname@example.org