The 1920s were a time of turbulence for All Souls Unitarian Church in Winnipeg, the city’s English-speaking congregation at the corner of Furby and Westminster. After nearly a decade of dramatic growth, its upward trajectory was disrupted by the global flu pandemic, the Winnipeg General Strike, and the departure of its minister, Horace Westwood. The church saw five ministers come and go before stability returned, one of whom was William G. Smith, the controversial vice principal of Wesley College (now the University of Winnipeg) who was dismissed by the college in 1923 and subsequently served All Souls Church a few years later.
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
Thank you for joining us this morning!
If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it.
Schlummerlied (Slumber Song), Op. 124, No. 16 by Robert Schumann. Performed by Daniel Clark
107 Now Sing We of the Brave of Old
Blessed is the Fire That Burns Deep in the Soul by Dr. Eric A. Heller-Wagner, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
adapted from A Lover of Open Places by Allan Cooper, Steve Lennon
Love Is the Spirit, accompanied by Daniel Clark
Sharing and Caring
Let us be grateful for this time together as we listen to the celebrations and concerns shared with us today. May the strength we gain through this sharing help us create a feeling of hope and courage in the lives of those around us, and in our own lives. So may it be.
300 With Heart and Mind
Our Share the Plate partner for January 29, which is the fifth Sunday of the month of January, is the Minister’s Discretionary Fund.
Moonbeams, by Montague Ewing, performed by Daniel Clark
from The Lessons of History by Will and Ariel Durant, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
352 Find a Stillness
The Hour of Snow by Lorna Crozier., read by Steve Lennon
While the Twenties Roared Rev. Stefan Jonasson
318 We Would Be One Audio/visual file
Fields of Promise by Emil Gudmundson, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Carry the Flame, accompanied by Daniel Clark
To the Light performed by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Gratitude to all who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Cheryl Simmons
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Songleading Videos: Paul Rodermond, (former) Acting Music Director and Accompanist, P.J. Buchan, (former) Music Director, First UU Winnipeg Choir
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact Sunserv (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org