“The vocabulary of a religious faith once seemed dead to me,” writes Kathleen Norris, who conceded that, even after returning to church, “I’d run into barriers, words that seemed like mental roadblocks.” This is familiar territory for many of us. Sacred words may scare us, and religious jargon even offend us – or perhaps do nothing for us at all. Why do we react to some religious words the way we do? How do we express the ineffable without them? Is religious vocabulary dead or just sleeping?
Service Coordinator: Norm Cobb
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Words are power, essentially the power of creation. By my words, I both discover and create who I am.”
– Frederick Buechner
Original Rags by Scott Joplin, performed by Daniel Clark
#360 Here We Have Gathered
We Gather This Hour by Christine Robinson, read by Norm Cobb
A House of Worship adapted by Robert F Kaufmann, read by Norm Cobb
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
The Late Bloomer, a tale from Mexico, told by Rev Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
sung as children and youth go downstairs for Religious Exploration
The Body is Humankind by Norman Cousins, read by Norm Cobb
Joys and Sorrows
#128 For All That Is Our Life (sung seated)
led by Norm Cobb
Our Share the Plate Partner for February is the West Central Women’s Resource Centre. West Central Women’s Resource Centre empowers women, and their community, to move from where they are to where they want to be, by providing responsive programming, facilitating knowledge sharing and connection, and contributing to culture shift and policy transformation.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
Gavotte from Holberg Suite by Edvard Grieg, performed by Daniel Clark
The Vocabulary of Religious Faith by Kathleen Norris, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#1064 Blue Boat Home
Note: We will begin recording the sermon following the anthem, with apologies for the interruption by the Zoom announcement of recording.
When Words Get In The Way, by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#1052 The Oneness of Everything
Finding Space by Marjorie Leaming, read by Norm Cobb
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Arthur Burstow or Simer Kaur (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Norm Cobb
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Education: Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera, CLRE (coordinator), Paulina Hernandez (childcare provider), Debby Lake, Rob Malo
- Pastoral Care: Andre Vanderstoep (Coordinator)
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Hymn Lyrics Coordinator: Debby Lake
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead, Ann LeDuc
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb, others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
Please refrain from taking photographs and making recordings during and after the service without the express permission of all people involved. Also, please turn off electronic devices during the service. Thank you.