One of the many legacies left to us by the Rev. Norbert Čapek is our annual flower ceremony. What few know outside of UU history classes is that he continued to offer the ceremony to all as a beacon of hope and resilience even when he while he was held in a Nazi concentration camp. This Sunday we will delve into the importance of our flower ceremony for us as we hold on to each other as a caring community. In the spirit of Rev. Norbert’s historical ceremonies, this year we ask that you bring to our virtual service whatever flora or greenery you have on hand — even if it’s a single blade of grass.
June 14, 2020
“And it’s only love, and it’s only love, that can wreck a human being and turn them inside out.” — Kate McGarrigle, Heart Like a Wheel
A Good Life from the First Unitarian Church of Rochester, New York
305 De Colores
“Within the Heart of the Flower” by the Reverend Amy Zucker Morgenstern
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
“Flower Festival” shared by Andrea James, DLFD
Candles of Caring
Spirit of Life, help us to sense that beneath us is the strength we need to keep us grounded. Help us to feel that behind us is the protection we need to feel safe facing our fears. Help us to know that before us lies the beauty we seek to feel astounded. Help us become aware of the vastness of our sky and of our spirit, and help us to know that within our hearts lies the love we need to complete the circle of connection in our lives. May we use all of our gifts to bring Love into this hurting world; this world which we so value, which we cherish.
63 Spring Has Now Unwrapped the Flowers
Share the Plate Testimonial
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
Our Share the Plate Partner for June is, receiving half of the collection taken each Sunday, is Main Street Project Winnipeg.
Heart Like a Wheel performed by Linda Ronstadt
“For the Flowers Have the Gift of Language” by the Rev. Richard S. Gilbert
28 View the Starry Realm
The Rose performed by The King’s Singers
the Reverend Meghann Robern
“Infinite Spirit of Life, We Ask Thy Blessing on These” by the Reverend Norbert Čapek
Hymn of the Month
311 Let It Be a Dance
“The Communion Prayer” by the Reverend Norbert Čapek
Carry the Flame, performed by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
When Our Heart Is In a Holy Place performed by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Gratitude for staff and lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: the Rev. Meghann Robern, Minister
- Coordinator: Dylan Fijal, Sunday Services Team
- Story Wisdom: Andrea James, DLFD
- Zoom Tech Hosts: Andrea James & Rev. Meghann Robern
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Carol Lindsey, LFDA
- Candles of Caring Host: Marlene Schellenberg, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor