The turning of the year has brought us back around to the longest night in the northern hemisphere, and the slow return of light to our lives. Come celebrate with us through story and song as we say thank you and farewell to the season of darkness, and turn to our shared future together.
Service Coordinator: M.C. Ziegler
Share your own candle of caring on future Sundays by emailing email@example.com before 9am Sunday morning. Be sure to let us know if you do not wish to have your candle shared with Our Caring Community Email Group.
The Return of the Light
December 20, 2020
“Like vessels, the stories carry us across the stormy, flotsamy, slippery edge of night. […] Snuggle with the egg in the dark.”
Carolyn McVickar Edwards, The Return of the Light
Hymn of the Month
43 The Morning, Noiseless
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
Spirit of Life, help us to sense that beneath us is the strength we need to keep us grounded. Help us to feel that behind us is the protection we need to feel safe facing our fears. Help us to know that before us lies the beauty we seek to feel astounded. Help us become aware of the vastness of our sky and of our spirit, and help us to know that within our hearts lies the love we need to complete the circle of connection in our lives. May we use all of our gifts to bring Love into this hurting world; this world which we so value, which we cherish.
55 Dark of Winter
For December, as part of our Share the Plate program, our Social Justice Team has chosen the Winnipeg chapter of Sleep in Heavenly Peace as our community partner. They’re a volunteer organization that builds beds for kids who are sleeping on the floor. Please visit their website to learn more.
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
“The Pull-Together Morning,” Sukuma, Tanzania, told by The Reverend Meghann Robern
58 Ring Out, Wild Bells
“The First Song: A Tale of How Yule Got Its Name,” by Andras Corban Arthen, told by Andrea James, Director of Lifespan Faith Development
226 People, Look East
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Rev. Meghann Robern, Andrea James, Nicole McKay
- Coordinator: M.C. Ziegler, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Kristin Jimmy, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Marjorie Doyle, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Marlene Schellenberg, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor
Topics: Winter Solstice