We have the tendency to take ourselves so seriously, because life is serious business. If we don’t have room for laughter, we are missing important moments of connection to our own bodies, to our breath, and to each other. This week, let us remember the wisdom in the book of Ecclesiastes – that there is a time to laugh – as we learn about a comedian ophthalmologist who is helping to heal his profession, one joke at a time.
Service Coordinator: Marian Siemens
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.”
~ Jean Houston
Estarcia-Danza del trigo, by Alberto Ginastera, played by Daniel Clark
#301 Touch the Earth, Reach the Sky
We Light This Chalice, by Oberlin UU Fellowship, Oberlin Ohio, read by Marian Siemens
Come Into This House of Worship, by Carolyn S. Owen-Towle, read by Marian Siemens
Love Is The Spirit
Best Time, read by Carol Lindsay
Sing and Rejoice
Pastoral Hymn and Stone Dropping Ritual
#354 We Laugh We Cry
From Rare Mothers in Relationships
#51 Lady of the Season’s Laughter
Eternal Mystery by Carol Meyer, read by Marian Siemens
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Our Share The Plate Partner for July and August is The W.R.E.N.C.H.. They are a registered charity that creates stronger, healthier communities by removing barriers to building, repairing and maintaining bicycles with a focus on educating youth and making bikes accessible to the wider community.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the gray hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope. Information about electronic or remote giving can be found on the Give page.
Jamaican Rumba, by Arthur Benjamin arranged by Hywel Davies, played by Daniel Clark
The Medicine of Laughter, by Rev. Nicole McKay
#323 Break Not the Circle
A Clown’s Prayer, anonymous, read by Marian Siemens
Carry the Flame
During this service
In order that everyone can feel comfortable here, ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. The tech team records only the sermon portion of the service, provided the speaker consents, and it will later be posted on YouTube, again only with consent. Thank you for turning off recording devices and phones during the service if you are joining us in the sanctuary.
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Nicole McKay
- Coordinator: Marian Siemens
- Religious Exploration: Carol Lindsay CLFD
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: MIchael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Music for Affirmation: composed by P.J. Buchan
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help out on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.