There was a time in my life when I dreamed of fame and fortune, before realizing that I would rather be known well by a few than by a multitude, and that material excess can weigh you down – but not before I wasted too much time in the pursuit. “Do not ask your children to strive for extraordinary lives,” writes poet William Martin; “Help them instead to find the wonder and the marvel of an ordinary life.” Looking back, my parents were relatively indifferent to outward signs of success, distilling the extraordinary from the ordinary. I should have paid closer attention.
Service Coordinator: Steve Lennon, Octavia MacIsaac
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Those who know that enough is enough will always have enough.”
September – Hunter’s Song from The Seasons Op. 37a by P. Tschaikowsky, performed by Daniel Clark
#21 For the Beauty of the Earth
Words by Philip Simmons from Learning to Fall, read by Octavia MacIsaac
Words by John O’Donohue from Matins, read by Steve Lennon
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Reverend Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
Pastoral Reflection and Practice
#175 We Celebrate the Web of Life
Words from The Invitation, by Oriah Mountain Dreamer, read by Steve Lennon
Our Share the Plate Partner for September is The Peaceful Village. The Peaceful Village is an afterschool program for newcomer youth and their families, which is facilitated by Manitoba School Improvement Program (MSIP). The Peaceful Village operates at seven Winnipeg schools Monday to Friday for three hours a day providing students with academic support, learning materials, snack, and other activities to engage with. There are also optional activities for students during PD days and school breaks. The Peaceful Village also operates during the summer to provide activities and opportunities in activity-based learning over the break.
Air from Water Music, by G.F. Handel, performed by Daniel Clark
#53 I Walk the Unfrequented Road
The Marvel of an Ordinary Life Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#1052 The Oneness of Everything
Adapted from words by John O’Donohue, read by Octavia MacIsaac
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon, Octavia MacIsaac
- Coordinator Lifespan Religious Education (CLRE): Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others.
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb, others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, John Burstow, Marian Siemens, others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
We ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. Please turn off all electronic devices during the service.