“We all have within us a centre of stillness surrounded by silence,” reflected Dag Hammarskjöld on the dedication of the Meditation Room at the headquarters of the United Nations. He believed that, in the place where the nations of the world gathered to debate the great issues of the day, there should be “one room dedicated to silence in the outward sense and stillness in the inner sense.” We need such spaces in our individual lives, too, where we can attain inner calm through what Harriet Beecher Stowe called “the grace of silence.”
Service Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“If only I may grow: firmer, simpler, quieter, warmer.”
― Dag Hammarskjold
I Walk The Unfrequented Road, American Folk Hymn, arr. by Lee Kjelson, performed First UU Church Choir, directed by Joseph Nguyen
#357 Bright Morning Stars
A Communion of Heart and Soul, by Bruce Southworth, read by Cate Ziegler
With Faith, by Gary Kowalski, read by Cate Ziegler
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Sweet Porridge, told by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
On the Dedication of the Meditation Room, by Dag Hammarskjold, read by Rev Stefan Jonasson
Loving Kindness Meditation, Cate Ziegler
Holding a Caring Space
#396 I Know This Rose
Share the Plate Partner Presentation
Sonya Bertoncello-May, Rainbow Resource Centre (via video)
Our Share the Plate Partner for November is Rainbow Resource Centre. It offers support to the 2SLGBTQ+ community in the form of counselling, education, and programming for individuals ranging from children through to 55+. It also supports families, friends, and employers of 2SLGBTQ+ individuals.
During the month of November, there will be a box in the foyer to collect donations for Rainbow Resource Centre. They need tampons, travel-sized toothpaste, travel-sized body wash, and travel-sized shampoo and conditioners.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
Simple Gifts, arranged by John Carter, performed by Daniel Clark
May I Learn To Be Silent, by Craig Cassils, performed by the First UU Church Choir, directed by Joseph Nguyen
The Grace of Silence, by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#134 Our World is One World
We Have A Lamp, by Thich Nhat Hanh, read by Cate Ziegler
Carry the Flame
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simerjit Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Coordinator Lifespan Religious Education (CLRE): Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Community Coordinator: Ann LeDuc
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
We ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. Please turn off all electronic devices during the service.