The beginning of August is the first of the three harvest festivals of the neo-pagan year. Come join us as we delve into one of the many earth-centered holy days that teaches us lessons about how we can navigate the cycles and seasons of our lives.
The Dog Days of Summer
August 2, 2020
“O Agni, Holy Fire! Purifying Fire! You who sleep in the wood and ascend in shining flames on the altar, you are the heart of sacrifice, the fearless wings of prayer, the divine spark hidden within everything, and the glorious soul of the sun.” — Vedic hymn
Cumha Eoghain Rua Uí Néill (Lament For Owen Roe) performed by Clannad; video edited by Mína La Voisin
27 I Am That Great and Fiery Force
“For the Web of Life” by the Reverend Paul Sprecher
“Blessed Is the Sky” by the Reverend Eric Williams
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
Spirit of Life, help us to sense that beneath us is the strength we need to keep us grounded. Help us to feel that behind us is the protection we need to feel safe facing our fears. Help us to know that before us lies the beauty we seek to feel astounded. Help us become aware of the vastness of our sky and of our spirit, and help us to know that within our hearts lies the love we need to complete the circle of connection in our lives. May we use all of our gifts to bring Love into this hurting world; this world which we so value, which we cherish.
71 In the Spring with Plow and Harrow
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
Our Share the Plate Partner for July and August, receiving half of the collection taken each Sunday, is Villa Rosa.
excerpt from Justice on Earth: People of Faith Working at the Intersections of Race, Class, and the Environment
73 Chant for the Seasons: Autumn
“Dog Days” by Steve Lennon
the Reverend Meghann Robern
Hymn of the Month
Rising For Our Lives, a new UU hymn from The Unfolding
“Four Element Blessing” by the Reverend Eric Williams
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
John Barleycorn Must Die by Traffic
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: the Reverend Meghann Robern, minister
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Dylan Fijal, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Lara Hunter, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Marlene Schellenberg, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor