Thanksgiving weekend is not a time of gratitude for all people. The dominant cultural expectation of joy and gratitude silences those experiencing grief – personal and institutional. Let us create space for the fullness of our history and our humanity.
Service Coordinator: Marian Siemens
Thanks, But No Thanks
October 11, 2020
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – Maya Angelou
Hymn of the Month
306 Sing of Living, Sing of Dying
from Faith Rocket
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
To troubled hearts, to spirits over-brimming, we offer our ministry of listening. For stories that need to be told, we open our hearts and offer the care of our attention and the support of this, our caring community. May it be so.
1006 In My Quiet Sorrow
Share the Plate Testimonial
For October, as part of our Share the Plate program, our Social Justice Team has chosen Candance House as our community partner. Their Mission is to provide a safe and comforting day refuge for victims and survivors of crime navigating the court process. Their Healing Haven offers a safe place to take a break, eat, debrief or prepare, in a setting of privacy and confidentiality that also provides resources and amenities. Please visit their website at candacehouse.ca to learn more.
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
by the Reverend Mark Ward
The sound of a singing bowl and two minutes of silence will follow the meditation.
Nicole McKay, Student Minister
411 Part in Peace
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Nicole McKay, Andrea James
- Coordinator: Marian Siemens, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Mel Leslie, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Odell Havsdotter, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Esmat Elhami, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor