“Life is a series of surprises,” said Ralph Waldo Emerson, and this certainly seems to be true. While it’s also common to hear people, especially bosses and spouses, say, “I don’t like surprises,” I’ve been surprised by joy so often that I relish the surprises that come my way. From a strain of music to a kind word, and from shared revelry to an unexpected gift, we may find ourselves surprised by joy if we are open to the possibility.
Service Coordinator: Jill Moats
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
Joy is not a constant. It comes to us in moments – often ordinary moments … A joyful life is made up of joyful moments gracefully strung together by trust, gratitude and inspiration.
~ Brené Brown
Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 (Excerpt) by J.S. Bach, performed by Daniel Clark
#163 For the Earth Forever Turning, accompanied by Daniel Clark
Deep Calls Unto Deep, Joy Calls Unto Joy, by Gordon B. McKeeman, read by Jill Moats
from A Grateful Heart by Molly Fumia, read by Jill Moats
Love Is The Spirit, music by P.J. Buchan, accompanied by Daniel Clark
told by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing children down to their rooms
Sharing and Caring
To troubled hearts, to spirits over-brimming, we offer our ministry of listening. For stories that need to be told, we open our hearts and offer the care of our attention, and the support of this, our faith community.
#1064 Blue Boat Home, accompanied by Daniel Clark
Individually and Together, written by Rev. Heather Christenson, read by Jill Moats
Our Share the Plate partner for June is Rossbrook House. Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
- Donate via e-transfer/Interac. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescdent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Give page.
I Could Have Danced All Night by Lerner & Loewe, arranged by Larry Shackley, performed by Daniel Clark
Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#21 For the Beauty of the Earth, accompanied by Daniel Clark
words written by Eckhardt Tolle, read by Jill Moats
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Surprised by Joy by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#305 De Colores, accompanied by Daniel Clark
words written by Rev. Caitlin Cotter Coillberg, read by Jill Moats
Carry the Flame
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Jill Moats
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Exploration: Carol Lindsay, CLFD
- Sharing and Caring Host: Kelvin Seifert
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb, and others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds and others
- Music for Affirmation: written by P.J. Buchan
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help out on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.