It is often asserted that stained glass appeared in medieval churches as a means to illustrate the stories of the Bible for a largely illiterate audience, but I’ve never been satisfied with this explanation. It somehow minimizes the value of the art and its meaning. I’ve sometimes heard people express appreciation for this church’s stained- glass windows because they don’t depict religious themes at all, but that’s a mistaken understanding. On Heritage Sunday, we will explore the origin and meaning of these stained-glass treasures.
Service Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“A work of noble art is in itself, by its composure and perfection, a peace giver, a restorative, a sanctuary for the moment inviolable.“
– Von Ogden Vogt
Maple Leaf Rag, by Scott Joplin, played by Daniel Clark
#361 Enter, Rejoice and Come In
A Call to Grounding by Rev. Kelly Digman, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Who Shall Bear Hope? by Marge Piercy, read by Cate Ziegler
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
How Windows Work, by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
sung as youth head downstairs for religious exploration
Pastoral Caring Space
#1003 Where Do We Come From? (sung seated)
Our Share the Plate Partner for February is the West Central Women’s Resource Centre. West Central Women’s Resource Centre empowers women, and their community, to move from where they are to where they want to be, by providing responsive programming, facilitating knowledge sharing and connection, and contributing to culture shift and policy transformation.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
“Dawn” from Pride & Prejudice by Dario Marianelli, performed by Daniel Clark
Art and Religion by Von Ogden Vogt, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#298 Wake Now My Senses
Note: We will begin recording the sermon following the anthem, with apologies for the Zoom announcement of recording interruption.
Stories in Stained Glass, by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#1057 Go Lifted Up
Be Ours a Religion by Theodore Parker, read by Cate Ziegler
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Arthur Burstow or Simer Kaur (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Education: Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera, CLRE (coordinator), Paulina Hernandez (childcare provider), Debby Lake
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Hymn Lyrics Coordinator: Debby Lake
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead, Ann LeDuc
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
Please refrain from taking photographs and making recordings during and after the service without the express permission of all people involved. Also, please turn off electronic devices during the service. Thank you.
Topics: Heritage Sunday