In Unitarian Universalist lingo, the term “Welcoming Congregation” means being welcoming to and inclusive of beloveds who are Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual and many other points on the gender and sexuality spectra (2SLGBTQIA+). This congregation was certified “welcoming” waaaay back in the 1990s; how do we understand and renew our welcome in the 2020s?
Service Coordinator: Steve Lennon
Renewing Our Welcome
March 14, 2021
There is a significant difference between “all are welcome here” and “this was created with you in mind”.
~ Dr. Crystal Jones
407 We’re Gonna Sit at the Welcome Table
Words by Charles Howe
Words by Steve Lennon
Love is the Spirit
Julián Is a Mermaid, by Jessica Love, told by the author
Candles of Caring
We set aside this space to honour the human journey with all its peaks and valleys, and the paths in between. Let us fill this room, this time, with warmth and love as we listen to the heart-felt sharing of fellow travellers in our caring community.
1023 Building Bridges
We welcome Scott McFadyen from this month’s Share the Plate partner, Inclusion Winnipeg.
People of a Wide Path, Andrea James, DLFD
318 We Would Be One
Nicole McKay, student minister
Renewing Our Welcome, Andrea James, DLFD
Resources mentioned by Andrea during her reflection:
- The Welcoming Congregations Five Practices of Welcome Renewal Program (Andrea only mentioned four because we took care of the first in 1996)
- Click here to subscribe to the UUA’s LGBTQ Ministries and Welcoming Congregations Newsletter
- Attend Transgender / Non-Binary Monthly Gatherings on the 4th Tuesday of the month @ 7pm. Click here for more information and to register.
- Check out the Report on the Experiences of Trans Unitarian Universalists by TRUUsT (Transgender Religious professional Unitarian Universalists Together)
Words by Jean M. Rickard Rowe
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Andrea James, Nicole McKay
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon, Sunday Services Team
- Tech Hosts: Marjorie Doyle, Tech Team
- Chat Moderator: Odell Havsdotter, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Sarah Cummings, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director, and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email email@example.com