We are taught to fear power. Not just what it can do, but what it can do to us. We remember Lord Acton’s words “power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely” – and we see evidence he was right. Perhaps in a perfect world power would be so evenly distributed that it could neither be abused nor corrupt anyone. But we do not live in such a world.
In this service, we will look at the nature of power, how ordinary people can exercise power, and how we can do so in alignment with our principles and values and toward our vision of a better world here and now.
Coordinators: Odell Havsdotter, Steve Lennon
Join the Service with Zoom
Connect to the service via Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Power: Trust Yourself
February 27, 2022
Thank you for joining us! If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
“What does power mean? Where does it come from? What influences the use of power?” Odell Havsdottir
The Land, the Sky, and the Sea
Damh the Bard
107 Now Sing We of the Brave of Old
Words by Steve Lennon
Our True Heritage by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Love Is The Spirit
Candles of Caring
We pause to reflect on our week, to think of changes and challenges that lay ahead. And, as we share what is in our hearts and support each other along the way, we are all strengthened.
The Tale of Gwion Bach
1012 When I Am Frightened
- To donate via e-transfer/Interac, use firstname.lastname@example.org. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- Click here to donate through Canada Helps.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Donate page.
Love Will Guide Us #131 performed by Dave Rowe and Stacey Guth
291 Die Gedanken Sind Frei
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the video meditation.
from John Beckett
Carry the Flame
Inara’s Suite by Greg Edmonson
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: John Beckett, CUUPS Denton Texas
- Coordinators: Odell Havsdotter and Kelvin Seifert
- Tech Team: Marjorie Doyle, Janet Toews and Lori Lewis
- Candles of Caring Host: Colleen Milikin
- Songleader Videos: Paul Rodermond, Acting Music Director and accompanist; the FUUW Choir; Josh Robern, editor
- To contact the Sunday Services Team please email email@example.com