Yearning, longing, desire…seems humans are always wanting something. Individually, and collectively as a faith movement, we pursue a lifespan quest for fulfilment. The Rolling Stones famously sang, “you can’t always get what you want…” and in another song, caution that you “can’t get no satisfaction”.
This Sunday, Rev Ren will bring their trademark humour into reflection and storytelling about this universal human struggle. They will share Buddhist and UU perspectives to help shape spiritual strategies for navigating our lives toward the better versions they can become.
Service Coordinator: Norm Cobb (he/his)
Order of Service
No, you can’t always get what you want…but if you try sometime, you just might find, you’ll get what you need
~ Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Sonatina by Béla Bartók, played by Kelvin Seifert
#347 Gather the Spirit
For Those Who Risk by Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, read by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
All That We Have Been, All That We Will Become, adapted from Leslie Ahuvah Fails, read by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
Love Is The Spirit
Sharing and Caring
The journey of our lives has brought us this morning to this place, to be here together. What a miracle this is to share these moments and to be nourished by each other’s presence. May we approach this time with gratitude and hope. So may it be.
#16 Tis a Gift to Be Simple
Unconditional by Jennifer Paine Welwood, read by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
#128 For All That Is Our Life
by Thich Nhat Hahn, read by Norm Cobb
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Norm Cobbs and Patty Mainville from Rossbrook House
Our Share the Plate partner for June is Rossbrook House.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
- Donate via e-transfer/Interac. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescdent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Give page.
Summertime by George Gershwin, performed by Kelvin Seifert
Need, Want & Becoming: spiritual strategies for living into better versions of “me” and “we” by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
#1059 May Your Life Be As a Song
Between the Dawn and Dusk by Carl Seaburg, read by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
Carry the Flame
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen
- Coordinator: Norm Cobb
- Accompanist: Kelvin Seifert
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Barbara Fuller
- Music for Affirmation: written by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb, and others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill