We occasionally sing the African American spiritual song Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child, though for so many, that situation is a reality. This Mothers Day we will explore some roles of mothering, touch on attachment theory, and share some of the impact of being a motherless child. The Choir will sing.
Service Coordinator: Marian Siemens
Order of Service
This is the role of the mother, … why a mother is really important. Not just because she feeds and also loves and cuddles (and even mollycoddles a child), but because in an interesting and maybe an eerie and unworldly way, she stands in the gap. She stands between the unknown and the known.
We Are by Ysaye Barnwell, performed by FUUCW choir
#18 What Wondrous Love
Mother’s Day Chalice Lighting by Deane Olivia
Hoping Trusting for so Many Things by Katie Kandaran Morris
Love Is The Spirit
Sing and Rejoice
Singing children down to their rooms
Sharing and Caring
What a miracle this is: to share these moments, to be nourished by each other’s presence, to affirm the possibilities we bring, to open ourselves to life’s renewing powers. May we approach this time we share with gratitude and hope. So may it be.
#1052 The Oneness of Everything
The Power of Mother Figures by Becci Vallis
Crowded Table by Brandi Carlile sung by FUUCW choir
At this Quiet Time by Edward T Atkinson
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Our Share the Plate partner for May is Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
- Donate via e-transfer/Interac. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescdent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Give page.
Love Reign over Me by Peter Townsend arr: Philip Keveran, performed by Daniel Clark
Me & Mom & Me by Charlene Zelanko
We Laugh We Cry – 1st and last verse
For All the Mothers by Lindasusan Ulrich
Carry the Flame
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Charlene Zelanko
- Coordinator: Marian Siemens
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader, Arthur Burstow
- Sharing and Caring Host: Carolyn Hill-Carol
- Music Director: Paul Rodermond
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Music for Affirmation: P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb & others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Joanne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org