It’s hard to move forward if you’re mired in your own past. This is as true for communities as it is for individuals. The more people focus on old conflicts and grievances and disappointments, real or imagined, the more likely it is that their efforts will be retrospective rather than forward-looking. At the beginning of a New Year, it is natural to look ahead towards the promise that awaits us, but that promise will only be realized if we learn to let go of the things that hold us back.
Service Coordinator: Norm Cobb
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Let go of the dark, which you wrap yourself in like a straightjacket, and let in the light.”
– Frederick Buechner
Prélude Op. 28, No. 11 by Frédéric Chopin, performed by Daniel Clark
#350 The Ceaseless Flow of Endless Time
Our Mission Statement, read by Norm Cobb
adapted from several sources, read by Norm Cobb
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Janus, with Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing as people return to their seats
Sharing and Caring
#1008 When Our Heart Is In a Holy Place
Waitressing in the Sacred Kitchens by Meg Barnhouse, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Our Share the Plate Partner for January is Art City. Art City is a community art centre that offers high-quality, free-of-charge art programming to those who need or wish to express themselves creatively. There is no need to register, simply drop in.
Find out more at https://artcityinc.com/.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
The Promise, by Jim Brickman, arr. by Dan Coates, performed by Daniel Clark
Note: We will begin recording the sermon following the offertory music, with apologies for any interruption by the voice of Zoom.
Letting Go, by Rev Stefan Jonasson
#1054 Let This Be a House of Peace
adapted and read by Norm Cobb
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Simer Kaur (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Norm Cobb
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Education: Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera, CLRE (coordinator), Paulina Hernandez (childcare provider), Debby Lake
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Hymn Lyrics Coordinator: Debby Lake
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Marian Siemens, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
Please refrain from taking photographs and making recordings during and after the service without the express permission of all people involved. Also, please turn off electronic devices during the service. Thank you.