An exploration into the topics of disability and the damaging impact that ableism can have. Join Octavia MacIsaac, an autistic epileptic, in exploring how ableism can overshadow the strengths that people with disabilities have and develop. Labels can change everything, but they don’t have to. It’s about time that everyone had a chance to shine!
Service Coordinator: Norm Cobb
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.”
~ Octavia MacIsaac
Piano Concerto No. 5 “Emperor” First Mvmt. Excerpt, by Ludwig van Beethoven, played by Daniel Clark
#6 Just as Long as I Have Breath
wordss by and read by Octavia MacIsaac
#501, by Frederick E. Gillis, read by Norm Cobb
Love Is The Spirit
Alex and the Invisibles, by and read by Octavia MacIsaac
Sing and Rejoice
by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen, adapted and read by Norm Cobb
Pastoral Hymn and Stone Dropping Ritual
#1053 How Could Anyone Ever Tell You
Our Share The Plate Partner for July and August is The W.R.E.N.C.H.. They are a registered charity that creates stronger, healthier communities by removing barriers to building, repairing and maintaining bicycles with a focus on educating youth and making bikes accessible to the wider community.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the gray hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope. Information about electronic or remote giving can be found on the Give page.
Cinderella Waltz, by Sergei Prokofiev arranged by Hywel Davies, played by Daniel Clark
#666 The Legacy of Caring — Thandeka
#170 We Are a Gentle, Angry People
Labelled But Still Able, by Octavia MacIsaac
#1052 The Oneness of Everything
#686, by Mark L Bellitini, read by Norm Cobb
Carry the Flame
During this service
In order that everyone can feel comfortable here, ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. The tech team records only the sermon portion of the service, provided the speaker consents, and it will later be posted on YouTube, again only with consent. Thank you for turning off recording devices and phones during the service if you are joining us in the sanctuary.
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Octavia MacIsaac
- Coordinator: Norm Cobb
- Religious Exploration: Carol Lindsay CLFD
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Tech Team: Marjorie Doyle, Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: MIchael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Music for Affirmation: composed by P.J. Buchan
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email email@example.com
Want to help out on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.