Reinhold Niebuhr, one of the preeminent theologians of the 20th century, is best remembered for describing the ethics of Jesus as an “impossible possibility.” Apparent impossibilities really are possible, he maintained, “and lead to new actualities in given moments of history,” but each new actuality is only “an approximation of the ideal.” We long for a fairer world, the good society, a cooperative commonwealth – whatever we may call it – but that world always seems beyond our reach. So it’s easy to succumb to despair and give up, but if we embrace the idea of impossible possibilities, we might learn to accept that the ideal is always coming into being, even if it never quite arrives as we imagined it.
There will be a New Member Recognition Ceremony during the service, and a SunServ table and display after the service, if you are curious as to how the Sunday Services Team puts together our weekly services.
Service Coordinator: Jill Moats
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“The impossible talked of is less impossible from the moment words are laid to it.”
― Storm Jameson
A Candle for Peace, by Lois Brownsey and Marti Lunn Lantz, sung by the First UU Church Choir, directed by Joseph Nguyen
#221 Light One Candle
by Frances Esziar, read by Jill Moats
Come Into This Place, by Margaret Weis, read by Jill Moats
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Beautiful Hands by Lawton B. Evans, told by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
New Member Recognition
led by Rev. Stefan Jonasson, Clair Nimmagadda (board president) and Ann LeDuc (community coordinator)
Meditation on Letting Go, by Carol Allman-Morton, read by Jill Moats
Sharing and Caring
#223 Rock of Ages, Let Our Song
Share the Plate Partner
The River of Community, by John Saxon, read by Jill Moats
Our Share the Plate Partner for December is Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba (MDAM). It is a self-help organization dedicated to providing support, education and advocacy for those living with mental health illnesses through peer support and other services.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
Third Gymnopédie, by Eric Satie, performed by Daniel Clark
from Optimism, Pessimism, and Religious Faith by Reinhold Niebuhr, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Hanukkah’s Child by Linda Swears, sung by the First UU Church Choir, directed by Joseph Nguyen
Note: We will begin recording the sermon following the Anthem, with apologies for the interruption of the voice of Zoom.
Impossible Possibilities, by Rev Stefan Jonasson
#354 We Laugh, We Cry
from The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr, read by Jill Moats
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Arthur Burstow (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Jill Moats
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Education: Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera, CLRE (coordinator), Paulina Hernandez (childcare provider), Emily Muller, Debby Lake
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
Please refrain from taking photographs and making recordings during and after the service without the express permission of all people involved. Also, please turn off electronic devices during the service. Thank you.