Rob Malo will walk you through his experience as the Artistic Director of “Histoire cachée – In Plain Sight,” a groundbreaking multilingual AR audio tour app where participants can delve into St. Boniface’s rich and diverse history at their own pace, while experiencing stunning visuals in Augmented Reality and engaging oral stories in French, English, and French Méchif. Discover the dramatic moments that shaped the community’s past, such as mail carrier Elzéar Goulet’s heart-pounding chase from Wolseley’s men; step into the lively world of Métis homesteads, and join gatherings of voyageurs and their families. Learn about the generational impact of the residential school system as you hear the stories of those who were affected by this dark chapter in Canadian history.
Collaborating with community groups, including Indigenous elders, the app’s creators have worked diligently to ensure that the stories shared are accurate, respectful, and inclusive of all perspectives. This commitment to authenticity and reconciliation shines through in every facet of the app, making it an essential tool for exploring Winnipeg’s multifaceted history.
Service Coordinator: Norm Cobb
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Do not mistreat my people.”
~ Chief One Arrow (as seen on the stone cairn dedicated to him in the Saint-Boniface Cemetery)
Prelude Gavotte from the Holbert Suite by Edvard Grief, performed by Kelvin Seifert
#42 Morning, So Fair to See
#448, read by Norm Cobb
#462, read by Norm Cobb
The Stops on the Tour, with Rob Malo (Tibert, le Voyageur)
Keep on the Sunny Side, traditional folk song arranged by the Carter Family, led by Kelvin Seifert and Jim Gardiner
Pastoral Care Meditation
prepared by Rev. Ren Rohe McFadyen, adapted and read by Norm Cobb
Our Share The Plate Partner for July is The W.R.E.N.C.H.. They are a registered charity that creates stronger, healthier communities by removing barriers to building, repairing and maintaining bicycles with a focus on educating youth and making bikes accessible to the wider community.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the gray hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope. Information about electronic or remote giving can be found on the Give page.
Solace: A Mexican Serenade by Scott Joplin, played by Kelvin Seifert
Desmund Mentuck, introduced by Robert Malo
#205 Amazing Grace, led by Kelvin Seifert, accompanied by Jim Gardiner
Histoire cachée – In Plain Sight, by Robert Malo
#401 Kum Ba Yah, led by Kelvin Seifert, accompanied by Jim Gardiner
#468 We Need One Another, by George Odell, read by Norm Cobb
Carry the Flame
During this service
In order that everyone can feel comfortable here, we request that you please ask permission beforehand of those persons you plan to take pictures of. The tech team records only the sermon portion of the service, provided the speaker consents, and it will later be posted on YouTube, again only with consent. Thank you for turning off recording devices and phones during the service if you are joining us in the sanctuary.
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Robert Malo
- Coordinator: Norm Cobb
- Accompanist: Kelvin Seifert
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: MIchael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, John Burstow, Octavia MacIsaac, and others
- Music for Affirmation: written by P.J. Buchan
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help out on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.