Rev. Ren McFadyen will reflect on the ministry of spiritual or pastoral care in UU congregations, and why it is an essential integrative aspect of a healthy UU community.
Coordinators: Steve Lennon and Jill Moats
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
Head, Heart, and Spirit:
The Essential Role of Pastoral Care in UU Congregations
October 2, 2022
Thank you for joining us this morning!
If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
And I am aware of my heart: it opens and closes
Its bowl of red blooms out of sheer love of me.
~ Sylvia Plath
We Will Not Stop Singing by the Chapin Sisters, featuring First U Brooklyn Choir
347 Gather the Spirit, UUSGU (with lyrics)
Words from The Longing for Something More by Gretchen Haley, read by Rev. Ren McFadyen
Responsive Opening Words
by Jane E. Mauldin, led by Rev. Ren
Response by congregation: “We give thanks this day.”
Love Is the Spirit, music by P.J. Buchan
Sharing and Caring
The struggle between self-interest and care lives in each heart. We are asked to work these choices every day, and the life of relationship, family, and community depends on what we choose.
Hope by Yasaye Barnwell, from the General Assembly 2020 Sunday Service, We Are.
Words of Reflection
by Wayne Muller, read by Esmat Elhami
from Pieces of Good by Mary Shaffer, read by Jill Moats
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
Our Share the Plate Partner for October is 1 Just City.
The Gift of Love, performed by First UU Winnipeg Church Choir
Opening the Gift by Mark Nepo, read by Rev. Ren
1058 Be Ours a Religion
Head, Heart, and Spirit: The Essential Role of Pastoral Care in UU Congregations, Rev. Ren McFadyen
My Life Flows On in Endless Song
Rev. Ren McFadyen
Carry the Flame
We Rise Again performed Anne Murray & friends, for the people of the Maritime Provinces, recovering from Hurricane Fiona.
Gratitude to all who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Ren McFadyen
- Coordinators: Steve Lennon, Jill Moats
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Esmat Elhami
- Songleading Videos: Paul Rodermond, (former) Acting Music Director and Accompanist, P.J. Buchan, (former) Music Director, Winnipeg UU Choir
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
To contact Sunserv (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com