“Gather the spirit, harvest the power; our separate fires will kindle one flame,” we sing in the words of singer-songwriter Jim Scott. What is this power? Where (or who) does it come from? And how can we harvest it? The answer is found in our congregational affirmation, which asserts that service is our prayer. It then falls upon us to discern where we are called to serve – individually and collectively.
Service Coordinator: Steve Lennon
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Deep in our bones lies an old intuition that we arrive here carrying a bundle of gifts to offer to the community…In a sense, it is a form of spiritual employment…”
― Frances Weller
Troika (November) from The Seasons (excerpt) by P. Tschaikowsky, performed by Daniel Clark
#347 Gather the Spirit
This Simple Flame by Rev. Ray Drennan, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
adapted from Imagine a Day by Sarah L. Thomson, read by Steve Lennon
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Hercules and the Wagoner by Aesop, told by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
Pastoral Reflection and Practice
#289 Creative Love, Our Thanks We Give
Working Capital, by Albert Schweitzer, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
We Hold Hope Close by Theresa I. Soto, led by Steve Lennon
#294 Our Praise We Give
Our Share the Plate Partner for November is Rainbow Resource Centre. It offers support to the 2SLGBTQ+ community in the form of counselling, education, and programming for individuals ranging from children through to 55+. It also supports families, friends, and employers of 2SLGBTQ+ individuals.
During the month of November, there will be a box in the foyer to collect donations for Rainbow Resource Centre. They need tampons, travel-sized toothpaste, travel-sized body wash, and travel-sized shampoo and conditioners.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
Valse Brillante Op. 34, No. 2 by F. Chopin, performed by Daniel Clark
Harvest the Power, by Reverend Stefan Jonasson
#1028 The Fire of Commitment
From Matins by John O’Donohue, read by Steve Lennon
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Reverend Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon
- Coordinator Lifespan Religious Education (CLRE): Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Music Team: Debby Lake, Esther Kathryn, Brian Klowak
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simerjit Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, John Burstow, Marian Siemens, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
We ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. Please turn off all electronic devices during the service.