Generosity is lauded as a core human virtue. Today, we consider the experiences of those on the receiving end of generosity. Factors of privilege and power and human diversity can result in a range of outcomes and impacts for recipients that are not always benign or desirable. How can Unitarian Universalists do better in our giving and receiving practices?
Service coordinator: Dan LeDuc
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“One of the best gifts you can give to someone, is a wider perspective. It’s also one of the best gifts you can receive.”
Berceuse op. 109, no. 7 by J. F. Burgmüller, performed by Daniel Clark
#34 Though I May Speak with Bravest Fire
Chalice Lighting and Opening Words
by Gary Kowalski, read by Rev. Ren McFadyen
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
Carl and Cupcake written by Tiffany Sapp, performed by Rev. Ren McFadyen, Dan LeDuc, and Debby Lake
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
Pastoral Hymn and Stone Dropping Ritual
#131 Love Will Guide Us
The Monk and the Thief, Zen Buddhist traditional story, read by Rev. Ren McFadyen
by Rev. Vail Weller, read by Rev. Ren McFadyen
#323 Break Not the Circle
Our Share the Plate Partner for November is Rainbow Resource Centre. It offers support to the 2SLGBTQ+ community in the form of counselling, education, and programming for individuals ranging from children through to 55+. It also supports families, friends, and employers of 2SLGBTQ+ individuals.
During the month of November, there will be a box in the foyer to collect donations for Rainbow Resource Centre. They need tampons, travel-sized toothpaste, travel-sized body wash, and travel-sized shampoo and conditioners.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
Schlummerlied by Robert Schumann, performed by Daniel Clark
Note: We will begin recording the sermon following the Offertory.
Generosity: Parables from the Receiving End by Rev. Ren McFadyen
#118 This Little Light of Mine
by Rev. John Morgan, read by Rev. Ren McFadyen
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Arthur Burstow (Zoom only)
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Rev Ren McFadyen
- Coordinators: Dan LeDuc
- Coordinator Lifespan Religious Education (CLRE): Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Andre Vanderstoep
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
We ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. Please turn off all electronic devices during the service.