Douglas Adams’ fictional Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has the words “DON’T PANIC” inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover. Arthur C. Clarke, was asked if he could tell people just one thing, what would that be? He answered with those same two words. But what if other people’s negative emotions push you into panic at needing to solve those feelings urgently?
Join Christina Swindells-Nader in exploring self-regulation and co-regulation, how they can help one stop freaking out about ‘bad’ feelings and lead one to tiny, but huge miracles, like getting oneself and one’s offspring out the door on time in the morning.
Service Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“People we love have difficult feelings. That’s not something to fix or run away from. But accepting that can take practice if you grew up learning that painful feelings were some kind of failure.”
~ Allyson Dineen, Notes from Your Therapist
Dance at the Gym – Cha Cha by L. Bernstein, performed by Daniel Clark
#38 Morning Has Broken
At Times, by Albert Schweitzer, read by Cate Ziegler
Co-regulation, by Elizabeth Mount, read by Christina Swindells-Nader
Love Is The Spirit
We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury, read by Christina Swindells-Nader
Sing and Rejoice
as people return to their seats
Holding Caring Space
#1002 Comfort Me
Love is the New Religion/The Spiritual Conspiracy, by Brian Piergrossi, read by Christina Swindells-Nader
Let us be centered, written by Charlie Elkind, led by Cate Ziegler
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
Our Share The Plate Partner for the fifth Sunday in a month: the Minister’s Discretionary Fund.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the gray hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope. Information about electronic or remote giving can be found on the Give page.
Eliza Aria from Wild Swans Suite by Elena Kats-Chernin, played by Daniel Clark
#1012 When I Am Frightened
Feelings Are Not Emergencies: Adventures in Panic, Self-regulation, and Co-regulation, by Christina Swindells-Nader
#118 This Little Light of Mine
Deep Peace, Gaelic runes, adapted, read by Cate Ziegler
Carry the Flame
During this service
In order that everyone can feel comfortable here, we request that you please ask permission beforehand of those persons you plan to take pictures of. The tech team records only the sermon portion of the service, provided the speaker consents, and it will later be posted on YouTube, again only with consent. Thank you for turning off recording devices and phones during the service if you are joining us in the sanctuary.
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Christina Swindells-Nader
- Coordinator: Cate Ziegler
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Religious Exploration: Carol Lindsay, CLFD
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader, Colleen Milliken, Marjorie Doyle
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: MIchael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds, and others
- Music for Affirmation: composed by P.J. Buchan
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help out on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.