Citizen scientist and author, Lyanda Lynn Haupt, wrote “Here is the dream of the earth: continuance.” And today it may be difficult to remember this dream of the earth with the threats of climate change, pandemics and war. This service will explore how we might cope with fear of the future, and how we can move forward more healthily into it.
Join the Service with Zoom
>> Connect to the service via Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to email@example.com and your congregational announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
Fear of the Future and Moving Forward
October 23, 2022
Thank you for joining us this morning!
If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
As I put the book down and closed my eyes, I wondered: How do I distinguish the truth of what he says from my desire for what he says to be true?
– Sy Safransky
When Our Heart Is in a Holy Place, performed by the First UU Church of Winnipeg Choir
1031 Filled with Loving Kindness
adapted from Poem in October, by Dylan Thomas, read by Steve Lennon
This Is How it Works. Lyrics by Regina Spektor, read by Norm
Love Is the Spirit music by P.J. Buchan
Memorial Candle for Rob Lindey
Reverend Reverend Ren Rohe McFadyen
Sharing and Caring
The journey of our lives has brought us this morning to this place, to be here together. What a miracle this is to share these moments and to be nourished by each other’s presence. May we approach this time with gratitude and hope. So may it be.
123 Spirit of Life
Words of Reflection
by Norm Cobb
The words are adapted from The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer, read by Sarah
Our Share the Plate Partner for October is 1 Just City.
The Gift of Love performed by First UU Winnipeg Church Choir
1012 When I Am Frightened
Fear of the Future and Moving Forward, Steve Lennon
108 My Life Flows On in Endless Song
Words by John O’Donohue, read by Norm Cobb
“Carry the Flame”
Return Again, performed by First Unitarian Universalist Church of Winnipeg Choir
Gratitude to all who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Steve Lennon, Norm Cobb
- Coordinators: Sarah Cummings, Norm Cobb
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Esmat Elhami
- Songleading Videos: Paul Rodermond, (former) Acting Music Director and Accompanist, P.J. Buchan, (former) Music Director, Winnipeg UU Choir
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
To contact Sunserv (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com