Old-fashioned notions of critical thinking and measured inquiry go back to Socrates and the ancient Greeks; the roots of equanimity and mindfulness even further. In the Digital Age of ten second sound bites, fake news, embedded hyperlinks and self-reinforcing algorithms, the skills of focus, critical thinking and equanimity are anything but quaint – they are essential. Join us on October 8th for a discussion on detangling the blur of 21st century life.
Service Coordinator: Steve Lennon
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page
- If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Order of Service
“Don’t let the force of an impression when it first hits you knock you off your feet; just say to it: Hold on a moment; let me see who you are and what you represent. Let me put you to the test.”
performed by Peter Steur
#67 We Sing Now Together
We Light This Chalice from the Upanishads, adapted, read by Steve Lennon
Spirit of Life by Kathy Huff, read by Steve Lennon
Love Is the Spirit, music written by PJ Buchan
with Cate Ziegler, “The Octopus”
Sing and Rejoice
Singing the children to RE
Holding Caring Pastoral Space
#83 Winds Be Still
Praying for Release from “Exultation” by Monza Naff, led by Cate Ziegler
#18 What Wondrous Love Is This?
Our Share the Plate Partner for September is Opikihiwawin.
Opikihiwawin responds to the needs of Indigenous adoptees and foster people in all stages of their lives by providing cultural education, supports and advocacy. They believe that it is every Indigenous adoptee and foster person’s inherent right to know and experience their culture. Opikihiwawin’s cultural programs create a positive sense of identity and belonging and help adoptees and foster people build relationships in the Indigenous community.
The offering will be gratefully received, both right now, and continuing when our stream ends. To donate via e-transfer/Interac use firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge. You can also send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Cr. Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
To see these options later, click here: https://uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/stewardship/give/
performed by Peter Steur
Equanimity and Critical Thinking in the Digital Age, by Cate Ziegler
#1058 Be Ours a Religion
As We Weather the Winds of Change by Maureen Killoren, read by Steve Lennon
Carry the Flame
Transition for Breakout Rooms
Gratitude to all who helped make this service happen:
- Leader: Cate Ziegler
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon
- Coordinator Lifespan Religious Education (CLRE): Ana Gabriela Castaneda Aguilera
- Accompanist: Peter Steur
- Music Director: Joseph Nguyen
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Simer Kaur, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Music for Affirmation: Composed by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others.
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up/Maintenance: Michael Thiessen
- Hospitality: Octavia MacIsaac, Adina Lyon
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- Chalice Logo Designer: Nancy Gilbert
- Website Support: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershilll
To contact SunServ (Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com
Want to help setting up on Sunday mornings? Please contact Norm Cobb or Jim Gardiner.
We ask that you refrain from taking photos and making recordings during and after the service unless you have received express permission from all people involved. Please turn off all electronic devices during the service.