Connection takes effort and commitment even when we’re not experiencing widespread disruption of our lives. Come join us for this Sunday when we will focus on caring for each other, and covenant with our Pastoral Care Associates and our student Minister, Nicole McKay, for this coming year.
Service Coordinator: Dylan Fijal
Creating Our Caring Community
October 18, 2020
“We can all make room for people to live with integrity. We can honour what our insides tell us about who we are, whether or not other people are good at listening. And we can get better at listening, so that our friends and the people we meet have an easier time being authentic with us.” — UU Church of the Larger Fellowship
Hymn of the Month
306 Sing of Living, Sing of Dying
#455 in Singing the Living Tradition by Dag Hammarskjöld
clip from “You Found Me,” The Boys
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
The sound of a singing bowl and two minutes of silence will follow the meditation.
Pastoral Care Associates and our Student Minister
Candles of Caring
To troubled hearts, to spirits over-brimming, we offer our ministry of listening. For stories that need to be told, we open our hearts and offer the care of our attention and the support of this, our caring community. May it be so.
1002 Comfort Me
For October, as part of our Share the Plate program, our Social Justice Team has chosen Candance House as our community partner. Their Mission is to provide a safe and comforting day refuge for victims and survivors of crime navigating the court process. Their Healing Haven offers a safe place to take a break, eat, debrief or prepare, in a setting of privacy and confidentiality that also provides resources and amenities. Please visit their website at candacehouse.ca to learn more.
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
The Reverend Meghann Robern
1052 The Oneness of Everything
from When the Heart Waits by Sue Monk Kidd
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Rev. Meghann Robern, Andrea James, Nicole McKay
- Coordinator: Dylan Fijal, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Colleen Millikin, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Marjorie Doyle, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Bonnie Thiessen, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor