Our theme for the summer months is “spiritual practice.” For many of us, singing is one of the ways we renew ourselves and deepen our relationships with our hearts and with each other. In this service we will explore music and song as a spiritual practice.
Hymns: 1009 Meditation On Breathing; 66 When the Summer Sun is Shining; 1011 Return Again; 1048 Ubi Caritas; 1003 Where Do We Come From?
Service Coordinator: Marian Siemens
July 26, 2020
“Pythagoreans believed that music purified and nourished our souls, keeping us spiritually healthy, in the same way exercise and nutrition does for our body.”
Joel Tishken, “Meditation on Musica Universalis”
Hymn of the Month
66 When the Summer Sun is Shining
“Thirsty” by Gregory Pelley
by Jalal-Al Din Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
In Memoriam: Margaret Mooibroek
The journey of our lives has brought us this morning to this place, to be here, together. What a miracle this is to share these moments and to be nourished by each otherʼs presence. May we approach this time with gratitude and hope. So may it be.
1011 Return Again sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
Our Share the Plate Partner for July and August, receiving half of the collection taken each Sunday, is Villa Rosa.
Sacred Sound: Experiencing Music in World Religions ed. by Guy L. Beck
1048 Ubi Caritas
the Reverend Meghann Robern
1003 Where Do We Come From? sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
“As Breath to Song” by Becky Laurent
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: the Reverend Meghann Robern, minister
- Coordinator: Marian Siemens, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Lauren Bailey
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Ashlyn Noble
- Candles of Caring Host: Esmat Elhami, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor