Sometimes, the spiritual practices that help us the most in our lives are things we learned in our childhood, even if we move into different sustaining beliefs as adults. This Sunday, Rev. Meghann will share pieces of her personal journey through singing and experiencing folk and bluegrass music as practice of both resilience and resistance.
Bright Morning Stars
August 9, 2020
“Jesus was a radical nonviolent revolutionary who hung around with lepers, hookers, and crooks; wasn’t American and never spoke English; was anti-wealth, anti-death penalty, anti-public prayer; but was never anti-gay, never mentioned abortion or birth control, never called the poor lazy, never justified torture, never fought for tax cuts for the wealthiest Nazarenes, never asked a leper for a copay; and was a long-haired brown-skinned homeless community-organizing anti-slut-shaming middle eastern Jew.” — John Fugelsang
You Are Not Alone by Mavis Staples & Jeff Tweedy
44 We Sing of Golden Mornings
“The Meaning of the Chalice” by Martha Kirby Capo
Take Me Back sung by Sonia Dada
Photo by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
Each of us enters this place with different needs. Some hearts are full of gratitude and joy. May we rejoice with them. Some hearts ache with sorrow. May our presence and compassion bring them comfort. Some hearts are searching. May the knowledge that we too are searching restore their hope and give them courage. May we, in our common need, give strength to each other as we share our joys, lighten each others’ burdens, and support our caring community.
18 What Wondrous Love
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
Our Share the Plate Partner for July and August, receiving half of the collection taken each Sunday, is Villa Rosa.
Bright Morning Stars sung by The Wailin’ Jennys
Jerusalem Tomorrow by David Olney
Sermon Part I
the Reverend Meghann Robern
Get Up John performed by Emmylou Harris & the Nash Ramblers
Sermon Part II
the Reverend Meghann Robern
213 There’s a Wideness in Your Mercy
Benediction/Hymn of the Month
Rising For Our Lives, a new UU hymn from The Unfolding
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
A Singer Must Die sung by Jennifer Warnes
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: the Reverend Meghann Robern, minister
- Coordinator: M.C. Ziegler, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Mel Leslie, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Kristin Jimmy, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Bonnie Thiessen, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor