It’s sometimes surprising what you’ll find tucked between the pages or scribbled in the margins of an old book. While “clean” copies of books are considered the most valuable by used booksellers and their customers, many of the used books I cherish most are the ones that came with bonuses – wise (or shocking) marginalia, old photos, love letters, and other treasured memorabilia. The Choir will sing.
Service Coordinator: Jill Moats
Heather Emberley will be arranging a display of things found inside books destined for the Children’s Hospital Book Sale.
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
My parents, and librarians along the way, taught me about the space between words; about the margins, where so many juicy moments of life and spirit and friendship could be found … You could find miracles and truth and you might find something that would make you laugh.
~ Anne Lamott
Lead Kindly Light by John Rutter, words by J.H. Newman, sung by the UU church choir, directed by Paul Rodermond, accompanied by Daniel Clark
#83 Winds Be Still, accompanied by Daniel Clark
written by Rev. Bruce Southworth, read by Jill Moats
from Scribbles in the Margins by Daniel Gray, read by Jill Moats
Love Is The Spirit
by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
Sing and Rejoice
Singing children down to their rooms
Sharing and Caring
We are grateful for this circle of caring that is part of our community. May its healing power reach out to all those who need the loving kindness and support of our faith community. So may it be.
#317 We Are Not Our Own, accompanied by Daniel Clark
Marginalia by Billy Collins, read by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
I am Willing written by Holly Near, arranged and directed by Paul Rodermond, sung by UU church choir with special guest soloist Sikhona Gwinsta
Branch Library by Edward Hirsch, read by Jill Moats
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the spoken meditation.
from That Form of Love We Call Generosity, written by Rev. Paul R Beedle, read by Jill Moats
Our Share the Plate partner for May is Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre.
Thank you for supporting the church with your funds, time, talent and energy. Direct deposit or post-dated cheques simplify giving. You may use a donation envelope, which is located at the back of the grey hymnal, to receive a tax receipt for accumulated cash gifts over $10. Please ask an usher for details if you do not find an envelope.
- Donate via e-transfer/Interac. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering or your pledge.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescdent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Give page.
Folk-Song Preludes Nos. II & III by Peter Warlock, performed by Daniel Clark
Between the Pages, Along the Margins by Rev. Stefan Jonasson
#318 We Would Be One, accompanied by Daniel Clark
Be True, Be Well, By Loving by Rev. Cynthia Landrum, read by Jill Moats
Carry the Flame
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev. Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinator: Jill Moats
- Tech Team: Arthur Burstow, Ashlyn Noble, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Cheryl Simmonds
- Music Director: Paul Rodermond
- Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Music for Affirmation: written by P.J. Buchan
- Ushers: Krishna Nimmagadda, Norm Cobb, Jim Gardiner, and others
- Greeter: Paula Keirstead
- Set Up and Maintenance: Michael Thiessen, Jim Gardiner, Norm Cobb, and others
- Hospitality: Shar Lynn, Adina Lyon, Cheryl Simmonds and others
- Chalice Sculptor: Jo’Anne Kelly
- First UU Church of Winnipeg chalice logo: Nancy Gilbert
- Webmaster: Karin Carlson
- Communicator Editor: Marjorie Doyle
- All-Church Email Bulletin: Lorie Battershill
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org