What are the values and guiding principles at the core of our liberal religious tradition? The statement of principles and sources that Unitarian Universalists in North America cherish are but the latest institutional articulation of our evolving understanding, and they are arguably as much the product of political compromise as they are a precise distillation of what’s really at the heart of liberal religion.
Acknowledging the inherent ambiguity of the liberal way, theologian James Luther Adams identified five guiding principles that he saw at the core of the free faith.
Join the Service with Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service
Thank you for joining us this morning!
If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
“An unexamined faith is not worth having, for it can only be true by accident. A faith worth having is faith worth discussing and testing.”
― James Luther Adams
Lyric Pieces, Op. 12, No. 3 “Watchman’s Song” by Edvard Grieg, played by Daniel Clark
# 108 My Life Flows On In Endless Song
Words by Rev. Steve Stock
Words from The Case for Liberal Religion by Waldemar Argow
Love is the Spirit
Sharing and Caring
To troubled hearts, to spirits over-brimming, we offer our ministry of listening. For stories that need to be told, we open our hearts and offer the care of our attention, and the support of this, our faith community.
#286 A Core of Silence
“Sarabande” from Cinq Pieces, Op. 6, No. 3 by Arthur Foote, played by Daniel Clark
“The Rhodora” by Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The Loss of Dimension” by James Luther Adams
#288 All Are Architects
“At the Core of our Living Tradition” Stefan Jonasson
# 300 With Heart and Mind
“Ours is a Faith” by Mary Ann Evans (a.k.a. George Eliot)
Carry the Flame
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinators: Sarah Cummings, Jill Moats
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Arthur Burstow, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Candles of Caring Host: Esmat Elhami
- Piano Accompanist: Daniel Clark
- Website support: Karin Carlson
To contact the Sunday Services Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org