All Souls’ Day is a Universalist holiday when we remember all those whom we have loved and lost. By intentionally remembering, we allow them to continue to shape and guide our lives with their love and inspiration.
During this time when we are exclusively gathering via Zoom, please email photos of loved ones who have died — pets as well as humans — for our altar of remembrance to Nicole McKay at firstname.lastname@example.org before October 29.
Service Coordinator: Marian Siemens
All Souls Day
November 1, 2020
“You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.” — Chinese proverb
Hymn of the Month
1019 Everything Possible
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
Candles of Caring
Each of us enters this place with different needs. Some hearts are full of gratitude and joy. May we rejoice with them. Some hearts ache with sorrow. May our presence and compassion bring them comfort. Some hearts are searching. May the knowledge that we too are searching restore their hope and give them courage. May we, in our common need, give strength to each other as we share our joys, lighten each others’ burdens, and support our caring community.
Share the Plate Testimonial
For November, as part of our Share the Plate program, our Social Justice Team has chosen the Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba as our community partner. They’re a self-help organization dedicated to providing support, education, and advocacy for those living with a mood disorder, co-occurring disorders, or other mental health illnesses. They increase public awareness about mood disorders and empower people to develop hope and recovery. Please visit their website at http://www.mooddisordersmanitoba.ca/ to learn more.
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
105 From Age to Age
The sound of a singing bowl and two minutes of silence will follow the meditation.
Altar of Remembrance
compiled and edited by Nicole McKay
The Reverend Meghann Robern
103 For All the Saints
by Alice Walker
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Rev. Meghann Robern, Andrea James, Nicole McKay
- Coordinator: Marian Siemens, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Marlene Schellenberg
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor