“Progressive faith is at a crossroads. Liberal pulpits ring with grand sermons about the arc that bends towards justice and about progress ‘onward and upward forever.’ Meanwhile the people in the pews struggle to attend to the suffering of their souls and the tragic aspects of life.”
We will explore this book from UU minister the Rev. Nancy McDonald Ladd, to glean what it offers us as we reshape and re-imagine our community for the future.
Hymns: 344 A Promise Through the Ages Rings; 345 With Joy We Claim the Growing Light; 296 O Ye Who Taste that Love is Sweet; 298 Wake Now My Senses
Service Coordinator: Dylan Fijal
Due to COVID-19, we are suspending in-person worship services and post-service activities; we will stream our services instead for the time being.
- NEW LINK! Connect online via Zoom.
- Our sibling congregation, Foothills UU, has put together a great page with a Zoom tutorial and advice about how to connect.
- Participate via phone (see below for phone numbers). When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; password is 676600
If you’re connecting to the Zoom system by phone and need a phone number outside Canada, find your local number here. Please note that Zoom no longer offers a Manitoba-based dial-in number. The Canada-based numbers are:
- 778 907 2071 (BC)
- 438 809 7799 (Montreal)
- 587 328 1099 (Alberta)
- 647 374 4685 (Toronto)
- 647 558 0588 (Toronto)
After the Good News
May 31, 2020
“The unflappable self-assurance of privileged white people can be exhausting.”
— the Rev. Nancy McDonald Ladd, After the Good News
The Only Way Through Is In by Carrie Newcomer
Hymn of the Month
344 A Promise Through the Ages Rings
“Out of the Flames” by the Rev. Sara LaWall
“The Great Teachers in Life” by the Rev. Jason Cook
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
“The Shining Jewel” (traditional, retold by Faye Mogensen) shared by Andrea James, DLFD
Candles of Caring
To troubled hearts and to spirits over-brimming, we offer our ministry.
To stories that need to be heard, we offer the care of our attention.
To the blooming of lives and to their ending, we open our hearts.
This time we make sacred by a simple act we all know – we minister by listening.
345 With Joy We Claim the Growing Light
excerpt from After the Good News: Progressive Faith Beyond Optimism by the Rev. Nancy McDonald Ladd (currently in stock at McNally Robinson Grant Park)
296 O Ye Who Taste that Love is Sweet
excerpt from Beauty: The Invisible Embrace by John O’Donohue (currently in stock at McNally Robinson Grant Park)
photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash, used with permission
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to firstname.lastname@example.org; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
Our Social Justice Team has decided that on 5th Sundays, our Share the Plate Partner, receiving half of the collection taken on that Sunday, will be chosen by Rev. Meghann. This 5th Sunday, the plate share will go to the Bear Clan Patrol of Winnipeg.
Sinnerman (live 1965) by Nina Simone
the Rev. Meghann Robern
298 Wake Now My Senses
“Closing Words for Hard Times” by the Rev. Maureen Killoran
Carry the Flame, performed by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Where Do We Come from performed by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Gratitude for staff and lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: the Rev. Meghann Robern, Minister
- Coordinator: Dylan Fijal, Sunday Services Team
- Story Wisdom: Andrea James, DLFD
- Zoom Tech Hosts: Andrea James & Rev. Meghann Robern
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Carol Lindsey, LFDA
- Candles of Caring Host: Ashlyn Noble, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor