Often times, we as a society focus on the outward appearance and actions of a person, without taking into consideration what they may be living with behind the scenes. That is the reality of the majority of individuals who are experiencing homelessness, and those living with addictions. We need to take into consideration that they may need more support from a mental health perspective, and that, if provided with that support, they would be in a very different situation altogether.
Join us on March 20 as we seek to gain a deeper understanding of the intersection of mental health and addictions.
Service coordinators: Steve Lennon, Marian Siemens
Join the Service with Zoom
Connect to the service via Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
Order of Service:
A Deeper Understanding of Mental Health and Addictions
March 20, 2022
Thank you for joining us! If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
Post Covid19, let us regenerate the economy with the consciousness that all lives are equal, that we are part of the Earth, we are ecological, biological beings, working is our right and is at the heart of being human, and care for the Earth and each other is the most important work. There are no disposable or useless people.
We are One Humanity on One Planet. Autonomy, meaning, dignity, work, freedom, democracy are our birth-right.
~ Vandana Shiva
I Wish I Knew How, performed by The First Unitarian Universalist Church Choir
306 Here We Have Gathered
Words by Kahlil Gibran, read by Cate Ziegler
The Struggle Continues, words by Israel Buffardi, read by Lara Hunter
Love Is The Spirit
Sharing and Caring
We are glad once again that our life’s journey has brought us this morning to this place, to be here together and to listen to one another’s joys and sorrows and concerns. May we approach this time we share with gratitude and hope, and be nourished by each other’s presence. So may it be.
112 Do You Hear?
Our Share the Plate Partner for March is North Point Douglas Women’s Centre:
- The North Point Douglas Women’s Centre is a charitable non-profit organization that has served the community since 2002 and is a vital resource to all members of the community. The Centre is working to create a safe, healthy, and vibrant community for women and their families in North Point Douglas.
- A safe place, open to all ─ we work with residents and local groups to build community through partnerships, information sharing, and advocacy.
How to Donate:
- To donate via e-transfer/Interac, use firstname.lastname@example.org. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- Click here to donate through Canada Helps.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Donate page.
The Gift of Love, performed by The First UU Winnipeg Church Choir
Lead by Michael Thiessen
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the video meditation.
84 How Far can Reach a Smile
Mental Illness and Addiction, words by Brent Kroeker
163 For the Earth Forever Turning
Bless Us with Peace, read by Carolyn Garlich
Carry the Flame
Return Again, performed by The First UU Winnipeg Church Choir
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Michael Thiessen, Steve Lennon and members of the
- Social Justice/Green Action Team: Alvin Yee, Carolyn Garlich,
- Brent Kroeker, Adina Lyon, Cate Ziegler, Lara Hunter, Heather Emberley, and others.
- Coordinator: Steve Lennon
- Tech Team: Colleen Millikin, Melanie Leslie, Lorie Battershill, Barbara Fuller, Christina Swindells-Nader
- Sharing and Caring Host: Shar Lynn
- Songleading Videos: Paul Rodermond, (former) Acting Music Director and Accompanist, P.J. Buchan, (former) Music Director, Winnipeg UU Choir
- Editor: Josh Robern
To contact Sunserv (the Sunday Services Team), please email email@example.com.