Stefania Sigurdsson was a longtime member of this congregation and a force of nature. She was the epitome of humourist Garrison Keillor’s tagline about Lake Wobegon – “where all the women are strong” – but she was more than just strong. Yes, she was tough and tenacious, but she was also kind and generous. And she was honourable. Stefania – or Bunny, as her closest friends called her – always reminded me of Eleanor Roosevelt and, at her memorial service, Lois Whyte read a passage from Adlai Stevenson’s eulogy for the former First Lady that ended by describing her as “a certainty of honour.” Church history too often focuses on the tenure of ministers while ignoring the critical leadership of laypersons.
Join us on March 13th when we will look for inspiration in the life of an everyday congregant.
Read the sermon that Rev. Jonasson delivered here.
Join the Service with Zoom
Connect to the service via Zoom
- Participate via phone by dialing the Manitoba phone number 204 272 7920 or one of the numbers listed on our Connections page. When prompted, enter Meeting ID # 968 8339 7324; if you are asked for a password it’s 676600 .
- Please submit your Candles of Caring to firstname.lastname@example.org and your congregational announcements to email@example.com before 9:00 am each Sunday morning.
- More information about joining this and other services can be found on our Connections page.
A Certainty of Honour
March 13, 2022
Thank you for joining us! If you’re visiting today, please fill out this Visitor Form so we can help you feel connected to our community.
We all create the person we become by our choices as we go through life. In a very real sense by the time we are adult, we are the sum total of the choices we have made.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
In These Hard Times, lyrics by Linda Hirschhorn, sung by the BFUU choir
306 Here We Have Gathered
Out of the Flames by Sara Eileen La Wall
From What Religion Means to Me by Eleanor Roosevelt (Adapted)
Love Is The Spirit
Sharing and Caring
What a miracle this is: to share these moments, to be nourished by each other’s presence, to affirm the possibilities we bring, to open ourselves to life’s renewing powers. May we approach this time we share with gratitude and hope. So may it be.
108 My Life Flows on in Endless Song
Our Share the Plate Partner this month is North Point Douglas Women’s Centre. The North Point Douglas Women’s Centre is a charitable non-profit organization that has served the community since 2002 and is a vital resource to all members of the community. The Centre is working to create a safe, healthy, and vibrant community for women and their families in North Point Douglas.
A safe place, open to all ─ we work with residents and local groups to build community through partnerships, information sharing, and advocacy.
- To donate via e-transfer/Interac, use firstname.lastname@example.org. In the note, you MUST include your name and whether your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- Click here to donate through Canada Helps.
- Send a cheque by mail to the church at First UU Church of Winnipeg, 603 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg, MB R3M 0A7
- To see these options later, visit our Donate page.
Circle Round for Freedom performed by the First UU Winnipeg Church Choir
A Blessing for Leaders, Kye Flannery
The sound of the bell and two minutes of silence will follow the video meditation.
103 For All the Saints
Maturity and the Choices We Make, Eleanor Roosevelt
A Certainty of Honour, Rev. Stefan Jonasson
1014 Answering the Call of Love
By Barbara Pescan
Carry the Flame
We Will Not Stop Singing by The Chapin Sisters, sung by First U Brooklyn Choir
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leader: Rev Stefan Jonasson
- Coordinators: Marian Siemens. Sarah Paisley
- Tech Team: Ashlyn Noble, Mel Leslie, Lori Battershill, Janet Toews
- Candles of Caring Host: Ashlyn Noble
- Songleader Videos: Paul Rodermond, Acting Music Director and accompanist; the FUUW Choir; Josh Robern, editor
To contact the Sunday Services Team, please email email@example.com.