Order of Service
Share your own candle of caring on future Sundays by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before 9am Sunday morning. Be sure to let us know if you do not wish to have your candle shared with Our Caring Community Email Group.
November 22, 2020
“[O]ver the years, you make decisions, you carve yourself into a given shape. Then the challenge is to keep discovering the green growing edge.”
— the Rev. Dr. Howard Thurman
Hymn of the Month
1019 Everything Possible
Love Is The Spirit, words by James Vila Blake (adapted); music by P.J. Buchan
“Antiracist Baby” by Ibram X. Kendi (currently in stock at McNally Robinson Grant Park)
Candles of Caring
Spirit of Life, help us to sense that beneath us is the strength we need to keep us grounded. Help us to feel that behind us is the protection we need to feel safe facing our fears. Help us to know that before us lies the beauty we seek to feel astounded. Help us become aware of the vastness of our sky and of our spirit, and help us to know that within our hearts lies the love we need to complete the circle of connection in our lives. May we use all of our gifts to bring Love into this hurting world; this world which we so value, which we cherish.
1058 Be Ours a Religion
We receive you into this community and dedicate ourselves to you, to nourish your growth in body and spirit, to provide examples of faithful living for you, and to support your spiritual development in the principles of our Unitarian Universalist faith.
For November, as part of our Share the Plate program, our Social Justice Team has chosen the Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba as our community partner. They’re a self-help organization dedicated to providing support, education, and advocacy for those living with a mood disorder, co-occurring disorders, or other mental health illnesses. They increase public awareness about mood disorders and empower people to develop hope and recovery. Please visit their website to learn more.
Our online-only format is a morally sound response by our community to the current pandemic on our planet. This also means that we are emphasizing remote giving during our offering this morning:
- Donations can now be sent via e-transfer/Interac to email@example.com; in the note, you MUST include your name and if your donation is for the Sunday offering, your pledge, or our capital campaign.
- You may always mail cheques to the church!
- We are also using Canada Helps to receive online donations. Go to their website to donate in this way.
“Keeping Horizons Open,” the Rev. Dr. Howard Thurman
the Reverend Meghann Robern
1053 How Could Anyone
Carry the Flame sung by the First UU Winnipeg Choir
Transition to Connecting & Conversation Time
Gratitude for our staff and our lay leaders who made this service happen:
- Leaders: Rev. Meghann Robern, Nicole McKay, Andrea James
- Coordinator: M.C. Ziegler, Sunday Services Team
- Zoom Tech Host: Mel Leslie, Tech Team
- Zoom Chat Moderator: Marjorie Doyle, Tech Team
- Candles of Caring Host: Sarah Paisley Cummings, Pastoral Care Team
- Songleader Videos: PJ Buchan, Music Director and the FUUW Choir; Paul Rodermond, accompanist; Josh Robern, editor