The concept of adding an 8th Principle, “We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote: journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.” originated in the United States.
Because Unitarian Universalist communities are self-governed, many congregations have already adopted this principle.
Members of the Canadian Unitarian Council (CUC) are discussing adopting an 8th Principle similar to the one above. Youth are invited and welcome to be part of the conversation.
Our church will be sending several delegates to the CUC Special Meeting on Nov 27 which will be focused on the 8th Principle. Join the Social Justice Team and our delegates ahead of time at one or both conversations where we will discuss what the 8th principle means to UUism and our congregation.
You may wish to familiarize yourself with the 8th principle and its background before these discussions. The resources below are a great opportunity to learn more.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org, though you are welcome even if you don’t.
- The 8th Principle Website
- YouTube video by UU ministers
- Canadian Unitarian Council: Dismantling Racism Study Group – Final Report (May 8, 2021)
- Conversations on the 8th Principle Process: Information and Recommendations for Congregations
- CUC Confluence Lecture Series
- CUC 2003 resolution on anti-racism: Appendix F
- CUC 2007 resolutions to amend 2003 resolution: Appendix G
- Radical Inclusion: Keynote at 2013 CUC Conference by Rev. Mark Morrison-Reed
- Black Lives Matter Resources – CUC workshops and compiled readings
- Our Mission: We are Caring, Learning and Socially Engaged. We are a diverse and caring community that is loving, inclusive, responsible, and encouraging We are a learning community open to evidence and varied insights that encourages reflection and exploration. We use what we learn to strengthen our relationships and our capacity. We are a socially engaged community that works collaboratively, compassionately and urgently for a just society and for our life-sustaining planet.
- CUC Forum #4 on Dismantling Racism and the 8th Principle – Sunday, November 7, 6:00 – 7:30pm: This fourth forum will focus on embracing the work ahead, expansion and radical inclusion. After the end of the forum, there will be an opportunity to discuss the amended motion. Connect on Zoom.