Justice & Equity
Black Lives Matter Rally
On June 5, 2020, the Social Justice team and other UU Church members donned our pandemic masks and attended the Black Lives Matter rally to show solidarity with people of colour who experience police discrimination both at home and abroad.
The Green Sanctuary Team consists of members from the Social Justice Team and the Green Action Team. On July 1, 2020, the Green Sanctuary Team installed three garden boxes in the backyard of the church. We planted a variety of vegetables using a method called “Lasagna Gardening” in which the garden bed is built up using layers of cardboard, compost, soil, leaves, and more. These vegetables were donated to Agape Table’s soup kitchens as our way of giving back to the community.
Make Poverty History
Based on a recommendation from the Social Justice Team, the First UU Church of Winnipeg signed the Make Poverty History campaign.
The First UU Church of Winnipeg has held a banner in the Winnipeg Pride Parade for many years. The church has a long history of supporting LGBTQ+ rights, having performed one of the first same-sex marriages in Canada back in 1974.
Safe Injection Sites
In 2018, the Social Justice Team crafted letters in support of safe injection sites in Winnipeg and sent them to key politicians.
SJ Sunday Services
At least once a year, the Social Justice team leads all aspects of a Sunday Service.
- Molly McCracken explored how we can lead change in a polarized world, and delved into calls by Black Live Matter to reallocate police funding to root causes of crime (October 2020)
- Devon & Pearlene Clunis taught us how the COVID-19 pandemic highlights ways that society discriminates against particular groups of people (May 2020).
- Vinh Huynh shared stories of his immigration to Canada, and how his experiences shape his actions as principal of Gordon Bell High School (February 2020).
- Jim Silver, professor at the UofW, spoke about the meth crisis in Winnipeg and what we can do to help (2019).
- James Favel shared his experience in starting the Bear Clan Patrol and how we can get involved (2018).