Letter from the Stewardship Committee
March 17, 2018
Our Stewardship Theme On Our Journey….Together draws us forward, following our 125th Anniversary, two years’ interim ministry, ministry search and discovery. We are embarking on a new phase of our Congregation’s journey with our new minister, Rev. Meghann Robern, Lifespan Faith Development programming, new ideas in caring for one another and new connections in the wider community.
As Members and Friends of First Unitarian Universalist Church of Winnipeg, we share a proud heritage of religious freedom and work for social justice. We believe in sharing our journey - that a meaningful life is found through connecting and contributing to something beyond ourselves. We believe that the world needs communities like ours who model a shared commitment to the common good.
Building on last year’s rainbow of possibilities, the planning for next year includes:
- Opportunities for all - to grow our UU identities throughout the life cycle and at all stages of our journey as a vibrant community of worship and action.
- A process of developing a clear and unified vision and mission to engage our future as a congregation with effective and inspired commitment.
- Continuing to provide appropriate compensation and benefits for our staff.
- Planned improvements to lighting and drainage in our busy parking lot to be completed during the summer of 2018.
- Active engagement in social justice through vital partnerships with other faiths and charities, support of refugees and others in nee
- Addressing our responsibility as treaty people, working to support understanding, healing and reconciliation in relationships across settler and indigenous communities and adding our signature to Winnipeg’s Indigenous Accord.
- Growth as a Caring Community, where we pool our gifts of support, affirmation and acceptance through all of life’s transitions.
- And…hosting the CUC Western Regional Fall Gathering on October 26 to 28 and celebrate the installation of Rev. Meghann as our settled minister.
And this is where you come in. Your pledge, or promise of financial commitment for the next fiscal year (July 1-June 30), allows us to fund these endeavors. Donations, of course, can be made at any time. But your pledges, collected during the pledge drive, are the only basis for planning the upcoming year’s budget. For those of you who are members, we would like to remind you that ongoing financial support of the church, through pledging, is one of the responsibilities of membership.
Please read through our information sheets, which will give you more in the way of facts and figures, (including an explanation of why we will need a significant increase in pledges compared to last year) and help you decide how much to give.
You can submit your pledge:
- online, by using the online Pledge Form;
- in person, by completing a pledge card and leaving it with a Stewardship Team member or the Stewardship file folder;
- by phone, by calling Peter Hill-Carroll at (204) 791-0370 or Barbara Rudyk at (204) 453-5465.
We’re journeying together, and we believe in the worth of this journey. We want every member of the church to join us on this journey. Please pledge now, and pledge generously.
In shared commitment to this vital faith community,
Your Pledge Team:
- Paula Wachs (Chair)
- Peter Hill-Carroll
- Barbara Rudyk
- Craig Steinmann
- Lauren Bailey
- Lynn Clark
- Bonnie Thiessen
- Jon Cowtan