Volunteering at First UU
“Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Winnipeg is here for everyone. We are independent thinkers who are choosing to be interdependent. We’ve come through a challenging couple of years and people will be at different levels of readiness to serve. That’s OK. Choose a smaller way to give of yourself, tackle a larger project, or join a committee—they’re all important. Kindness and compassion are a starting point.
There are many benefits to volunteering, such as: learning new skills, influencing outcomes, deepening relationships, becoming more active, putting your core values into action, and feeling part of a team. Welcome to the fall, and to renewed energy and purpose. Here are just a few of our many volunteer choices:
- Set up and take down chairs on a Sunday
- Join the sweeping, raking or (dare I say it?) snow shovelling crew
- Visit online, by phone or in person with someone who may be homebound
- Assist with educational programming for children, youth or adults
- Use your IT expertise for a committee or a Sunday service
- Join a group to help optimize our Breeze and Google Works systems
- Share your interest in numbers with the Finance Committee
- Be available for social justice activities such as peace walks, or climate change events
For a current list of volunteer opportunities, please read Current Volunteer Opportunities – January, 2023.
VRC members are: Jim Gardiner, Carolyn Garlich, Brian Klowak, Barb Rudyk and Sonya Watson. Our Board Liaisons are Paula Keirstead and Claire Nimmagadda.
Would you like to hear more about volunteer possibilities and fine tune what might work for you and for the congregation? Let the Volunteer Resources Committee know at email@example.com any time and we’ll respond by email within a week, or use the contact form below.
Sonya Watson for Volunteer Resources Committee (VRC)