A 2SLGBTQIA+ Welcoming Congregation
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and the full spectrum of human sexuality and gender identity (2SLGBTQIA+) at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honour the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of 2SLGBTQIA+ persons throughout all of our programs, including faith development for all ages.
- affirm and celebrate 2SLGBTQIA+ issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for 2SLGBTQIA+ people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of 2SLGBTQIA+ people are at stake.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual people, and others within the glorious spectrum of sexuality and gender identity.