History of 603 Wellington Crescent
The old house was built during 1912-14 by H.W. Hutchinson, the local managing Director of the John Deere Plough Company. Its architects were Ross and Macfarlane, a Montreal firm which also designed the Hotel Fort Gary. The ornate fireplace in the living room and mahogany wood staircase in the central hallway are its most distinguishing features. In the late 1920s, 603 Wellington Crescent was sold to W.P Riley and then again in 1955 to Joseph Harris of Canada Packers. It is located on two lots fronting on the Assiniboine River adjacent to the Maryland Bridge.
Celebrating 125 years: Our UU Winnipeg History
February 1st 1891 – The First Icelandic Unitarian Society under Rev. Björn Pétursson and Jennie McCaine Peterson was created, after years of missionary work with Icelandic immigrants, with a church at the corner of Sherbrook and Pacific.
History Snapshot – 603 Wellington Crescent
Our home at 603 Wellington Crescent was built during 1912014 by H.W. Hutchinson, for the local managing Director of the John Deere Plow Company. The architects were Ross and Macfarlane, a Montreal firm which also designed the Hotel Fort Garry. The ornate fireplace in the living room and the mahogany wood staircase in the central hallway are two of the most distinguishing features of our home.